I find it ironic that when I finally get round to this post, it's a New Year's eve, but not the expected one.

Around this same time three years ago, I just learned that I got accepted into Monash. Boy, was I nervous! Away from family most of the time, forced to drive in KL traffic, thrown into formal education with its classrooms, assignments and 'unholy' learning, and surrounded by sooo many peers everywhere (I used to hang with people way older or considerably younger). Let's not forget the fact that the course would take three loooong years.

Lo and behold, three years came and went. I completed with my targeted CGPA (no, it's not 4.0), the last semester having the best results out of the six. And what has these years of studying taught me?
  • The importance of a well-founded understanding of the world. Before studying, I had a decent understand of history and global movements, most likely more than the common Malaysian youth. But International Studies and even Journalism broadened my scope substantially. Yet I've also learned that it's not enough to learn only the things in the classroom. For everything I do and learn, it is vital to see how things fit and don't fit into God's culture and standard. A bonus obtained from intentionally studying two-fold is increased understanding and wisdom, so what was thought to be a terribly hard assignment turns into an enjoyable challenge (Yes, nerd speak here).
  • The extent of God's unconditional love. I've met, mingled, laughed and cried with all kinds of people. Some things they do shock me from the innermost, other things move and inspire me. Sometimes I want to wring some necks, other times I give out hugs instead. Some people I know instantly are kindred spirits, others I wonder at the vast cultural barriers. I've seen the good that men can do, and I've felt close to heart the grave evil of humanity. Through all these, not only have I learned what it means to love unconditionally, but I've also better understood the extent of God's love and grace for us terribly-flawed creatures. 
  • The appeal of words. Although I love writing, I had a narrow understanding of journalism and hence didn't think much for it. "Who wants to write hard news all the time?" But silly me, journalism is more than reports. It's the art for the search for truth, and to tell that truth to the best of one's ability, be it in print, broadcast, social media or photojournalism. For me it' words. I understand better the power of words to impart, impact and change, however insignificant that change may seem.
  • The importance of a stable and healthy life. Don't run around like a headless chicken. I tend to say yes to almost every request that comes by, or attend every event. But it's not healthy to be running around with no focus, even though the tasks may be doable. For one, you lose track of things and run the risk of disappointing people. Secondly, you find yourself falling sick often, losing concentration, and quite literally losing your mind. It came to a point last year when I had to think very hard to recall a name or word, or what I did five minutes ago, or what promise I made to whom. For someone with a pretty good memory, this was frightening. I believe some people are built with the special capability to multi-task well. But I realize I'm not one of them. If I'm to do something well, I have to be there 100%. So keep focus and uphold priorities... and eat the vitamins your mom nags you to.
  • The safeguard of limitations. Hence there's only so much one person can do. I used to be frustrated by the desire to save the world, only to be held back by limitations. But there's only one Savior, and that's not me. I'm simply called to do what I can through and by the talents given me. Knowing that now has given me much liberty in body, soul and mind. And as this quote aptly says, "Accepting your limitations is not giving up. On the contrary; it is saying, 'Here is what I cannot currently do, but this is something I will work at to learn, and God’s grace will sustain me.'" (Madison Hexter, The Rebelution)
  • The sovereignty of God. For all that studying, I still don't know everything. I don't know why it rained yesterday and not today. I don't know why good people die young and questionable people live into their 80s. I don't know how to absolve human trafficking or ethnic conflicts. I don't know what I'm going to do next year, let alone next Saturday. I still don't know how to shoot properly and not scream when playing Left4 Dead. But one thing I know for certain, that there's a Higher Power in whom I can trust to know the answers to all that (including the Left4Dead lack of skill). And more. Plenty of times, more than I can count, I thought I knew better. I thought my way made more sense, felt more right. But I've been humbled each time. Although the process of humiliation is well, humiliating, I come out each time stronger and restored in hope, joy and purpose. I still don't know everything, but I don't need to know everything (refer previous point). I know who God is. Knowing that is enough.
I'm pretty sure those are not the only things I've learned. But it's three years, so it's difficult to summarize all. So I'd say these are the important points I've taken from that phase of life.

I thank God for the privilege of a good tertiary education, for the friendships forged, for life lessons learnt, and for the future untold.

My formal education has ended, but learning never does.