This was what I wrote in my journal last night. Nothing profound, just my thoughts.


Today is Easter. I didn’t celebrate much because well, we normally don’t. But anyhow, it’s been more of a gradual process the past week. And two things resonate in my mind – the Resurrection of Christ and Hope.

As I’ve been reading the Bible more - after a long dry spell - I realize that the good news of the Gospel is not just about Jesus dying for our sins, but that He has resurrected, and has overcome sin and death. It’s not a tale of sadness, it’s a tale of joy. It’s not about just defeating and leaving at that, it’s about living with victory. Without the resurrection of Christ, the story of the Gospel would only be half, His work on the Cross pointless.

And it is in the truth of the Resurrection that hope comes in. Now, to hope will not be in vain. What is this hope? It’s the hope for a life eternal after our time on this earth. It’s a hope that there’s a second chance for us all. It’s a hope for joy and peace that will come after the mourning and troubles. It’s a hope for a purpose and a future. It’s a hope that things will turn out right. All this I can now hope in confidence, because if death is defeated, what else will stand in the way of this new life given through the love of Christ, the grace of God the Father, and the fellowship of the Holy Spirit?

I know this is not new revelation. But for me, it’s something I hadn't quite grasped. I always think about Jesus dying on the cross for our sin – my sin. And I get forlorn and convicted, thinking of all I did that drove my Lord to His death. I end up wallowing in self-pity, unworthiness, and an overwhelming sense of gratitude. But now I see that I tend to stop there. I was blind to the new life given. Because I felt like I have to work hard to maintain a sinless life. But the truth is – I’ve already died to that old life.

I do not discount the sufferings Christ had to go through for my sins. I’ve done too many grave things to ignore the penalty that was for me but Christ took away. But now I need to have more faith in the equal truth of His resurrection and what that means for me. I need to overcome my pessimism. I have to learn to hope.